Do you love your body hair or hate it? It has forever been a debatable issue for the women but how to deal with all the fuzz is totally your choice.
Some prefer to let them grow naturally while others choose hair removal methods to flaunt the shine of their bare skin.
While growing body hair is considered good for various reasons like warmth and protection against friction but removing body hair keeps your personal hygiene game on point.
So, how would you choose to remove your hair? There are a lot of options available in the market. How do you find out which is the best method of hair removal for you? You need to experiment.
Yes, you need to try out all the methods available and ultimately, you will find the best possible solution for your skin type.
But to make your work easier, we want to take you on a ride through some of the most popular methods of hair removal known (you can try them too!) – Epilation and Laser Hair Removal.
A detailed take on Epilator Vs Laser Hair Removal will also help you decide which one’s better of the two.
Epilators: What are they & How do they Work?
Epilators are electric tools, designed to be held by hand, that can remove body hair and leave your skin silky and smooth. They look like electric razors but work better than them as they do not only cut off hair present on the surface of the skin but remove hair from its root, its follicle.
Epilation brings you the best of shaving and waxing!
The head of these devices come loaded with rotating discs or tweezers which grab your hair and pull them out. And you’re done!
Some epilators are meant to be used only on clean and dry skin, which might be painful. But there are epilator models which can be used by you on wet skin, in the shower – Just put some gel, lather and glide that epilator, darling! You’ll come out with the shiniest legs of your life out of the shower.
If you’re sick of the mess that shaving and waxing bring in to your life, epilating is the right choice for you.
Advantages of Epilation Hair Removal
- In this process, the electric devices remove hair from the follicle level (from the root!) and therefore, leave you with smooth and shining skin for weeks, just like waxing.
- Small and fine hairs, of sizes 1 or 2 mm also, can get removed by epilators. That’s neat!
- If you want some of the best hair removal methods at home, this is a very effective and efficient solution.
- Epilation works best anywhere on your body. No matter which area of it you want to be hairless, say legs, arms, bikini or arm pits; the method does wonders.
- Epilators are pocket-friendly.
- Epilators suit sensitive skin as well.
Disadvantages of Epilation Hair Removal
- Some women complain that epilation is painful. Do you know how it feels when you pull out one hair?
- Well, these mechanical devices will do that with multiple hairs at once. So, they can be painful, mostly in the areas where your skin is too sensitive.
- So, a wet epilation is often recommended to provide you relief.
- Sometimes, you might miss out on small hairs leaving a stubble on your skin. They’re certainly annoying – we get you!
- Ingrown hairs, skin irritation, swelling, and bumps are often associated with epilation. Though they don’t last long but they can be a botheration.
Laser Hair Removal
Talk about permanently getting rid of your body hair and laser hair removal is there to brace and take away all your worries!
It is the best permanent method of hair removal and is an evolution in the cosmetic beauty industry.
For these types of hair removal methods, you need to visit a laser hair removal expert at a salon or your dermatologist’s office. It’s best to be done by the hands of a professional!
This method of hair removal targets light beams on hair follicles through their pigment. The beams get absorbed by the pigment which eventually lead to the hair’s death.
These light beams are hot which the hair follicles and their pigments find difficult to withstand and hence, get destroyed.
Since the hair growth happens in different stages, the entire treatment cannot take place in one sitting. You need to repeat the treatment until full reduction of your hair.
You can choose to remove you facial as well as your body hair through laser treatment. It’s that flexible! They’re also customizable according to skin tones and hair type.
However, people with fair skin and dark hair are most suitable for laser hair removal.
Advantages of Laser Hair Removal
- This method of hair removal leads to permanent removal of body hair from your body or say permanent reduction of all the fuzz from your body.
- Once done, you won’t have to worry about shaving, waxing, or plucking ever again. Sounds like a great deal to us!
- You can laser literally any part of your body as well your face. Yes, you heard it right.
- With this treatment, you can reach even the small areas in your body as well.
- The light beams can target the dark hairs without affecting the skin surrounding it. So, it is safe.
Disadvantages of Laser Hair Removal
- These type of treatments are suitable only for a certain type of skin tones. For others, there are chances of skin burn.
- Though you can recover from the discomfort, the method of laser hair removal can be painful.
- The light beams sting as it is heat directed towards your skin.
- The treatments are generally expensive.
- It takes multiple visits to the salon for a permanent hair growth reduction.
So, how to choose which hair removal method is the one your body needs? Let’s move on to Epilator Vs Laser Hair Removal to pit the two in front of each other.
Epilator Vs Laser Hair Removal
Now that you know what each method basically is, wouldn’t you want to know how beneficial they are to you and your body? Let’s take a look:
1. Reduction in Hair Growth
If we look in the terms of reduction in hair growth, laser hair removal is the clear winner. Of course, you know why! (permanent reduction in hair growth, gals!)
If you choose epilation as your hair removal method, you will have to repeat your grooming sessions once in at least every four weeks.
Since the light beams kill your hair follicle, unlike in epilation, you will see an 80-92% of reduction in body hair. Hooray!
2. Size of Hair
In epilation, your hair needs to be of a certain size, say 1-2mm, for the epilator device to grab hold of them and remove them.
These devices are designed to tweeze out short and fine hairs as small as that but even then, there are chances of leaving out stubble on women’s body, which already many have complained about.
On other hand, in laser hair removal, you do not need to walk into the salon with your hairy self. You need to shave before you can get lasered – remember “shaved”.
Because the light beams will need the follicle to be in place! This procedure leaves you completely hairless.
How flexible is your hair removal method? Is it travel-friendly? Can you perform it at home at your disposal?
Well, epilating is easy and you can perform it literally anywhere. You just have to travel with a little mechanical device and you are done.
But with laser hair removal, it must be performed by experts only – either by a laser hair removal professional or a dermatologist.
Note: There indeed is a hair removal method in which you can laser yourself at home, known as IPL, which we will discuss later.
4. Cost of Hair Removal Method
When it comes to bearing the cost of these hair removal methods, the lasering yourself is a serious burn in your pockets.
But the epilator devices are cost-effective and last long. So, if we look at Epilator vs Laser Hair Removal, the former is in a win-win situation. What do you think?
5. Choosing the Skin Type
Before giving a go-ahead to any method of hair removal, it’s necessary to ensure whether it’s suitable for your skin tone and type or not. You wouldn’t want to end up with a blotched skin, right?
Keeping that in mind, epilating is considered safe for almost all skin tones & types. Yes, even for the ones with sensitive skin and it doesn’t matter what tone of skin is the device gliding up on.
That’s indeed a huge bonus! When it comes to laser hair removal, it’s a relief for sensitive skin. Because it provides you relief from the regular pain associated with shaving and waxing.
However, the ones with fair skin and dark hair are most preferable for the procedure.
6. Level of Pain
We won’t lie – Both the methods of hair removal are painful! But the levels vary. How would you feel if a tweezer pulled out your hair?
That’s exactly how the epilator might feel (on the most sensitive areas of your body though). Also, these devices pull out multiple hairs at a time.
So, the pain lies at medium level (say 6 on a 10 pointer pain scale!)
But the good news is, you can provide yourself relief from the pain – by getting yourself into a hot shower before you epilate and using this hair removal method in the shower itself using a shower gel. Smooth!
On the other hand, laser hair removal stings real bad! The light beams feel like heat rays when they touch your skin.
It is this heat that inhibits the further growth of the follicle. So, in order to get hairless permanently, you need to bear this painful sensation.
7. Side Effects
You want a smooth and silky skin after removing all the hair but what if side effects follow?
Epilation can lead to certain side effects like bumps, skin irritation, swelling, and ingrown hairs. Rapid and pulling out hair through force can lead to swelling and bumps respectively.
If hair doesn’t get removed from the root, it can lead to ingrown hair.
These effects can make you feel uncomfortable but can surely get treated. Also, with time, they subside on their own.
When it comes to laser hair removal, skin burns, skin pigment and texture changes, and scars are serious side effects that can be a huge concern for you ladies before you consider it as your hair removal option.
8. Choosing the Part of Your Body for Hair Removal
If you want to remove hair from your face, arm, legs, armpits, and bikini area, laser hair removal is the best option, gals. Because, we wouldn’t recommend you pulling out hair from your face, wholeheartedly.
Also, the bikini is a sensitive area. You can use epilators if you are accustomed to the pain but why the fuss when you can go with a permanent growth reduction of hair?
9. Constant Grooming
With epilation, you get a hairless skin for weeks because it yanks out your hair from the root. So, until the hair grows out, you can keep flaunting your shiny skin.
That stays for say, four weeks? But after that, you need to groom yourself again to get back your bare skin.
With laser treatment, yes, you need to go through multiple appointments for complete reduction of hair but once you’re done, no more grooming sessions! Sheen and shine for life!
So, ladies, in Epilator vs Laser Hair Removal, it all depends on your personal choice. If you want a permanent solution to treat the body fuzz, can bear the pain and cost, go laser yourself.
Otherwise, epilation is queen!
IPL Removal at Home
It is possible to remove hair from your body through laser beams at home (but don’t consider it as your go-to option!). It is the newest form of technology to help you do-it-yourself.
Known as IPL, stands for Intense Pulsed Light, it is a device that you can use to get rid of body hair on any part of your body.
It is designed on the same theory on which laser hair removal works, targets light on the root of the hair to kill it and thereby, stop it from growing.
Suitable for women with dark hair with light skin, it helps in achieving a hairless skin that lasts for a lifetime.
But how is it different from Laser Hair Removal?
IPL Vs Laser Hair Removal: What’s the Difference?
We know both the hair removal methods leave you with a permanently shining body but what makes them different?
- Source of light – IPL uses a pulsed source of light beams whereas the professional laser hair removal treatment uses a coherent light source of monochromatic colour which has very high energy and frequency, unlike the pulsed light.
The treatment with laser hair removal will hence be faster.
- Flexibility – Laser hair removal can only be done by professionals and IPL is a handheld device available for you to laser your fuzz at home.
Epilator Vs IPL Laser
The IPL devices work much like the laser treatment of hair removal. Bringing permanent reduction in growth of body hair at the disposal of your home, these devices give you the smoothness you’ve always wanted in your skin.
How are they different from Epilator devices?
- Epilators tweeze out hair from the root while IPL focuses light on hair roots, heats them up which gradually inhibits their growth.
- Epilators are known to sometimes miss out on hair, but there’s no such hassle with the IPL.
- There is constant grooming with epilators but once all your treatments are done with the at-home IPL laser, you’ll be out there flaunting a hairless, soft, and shiny skin for life.
So, In Epilator Vs Laser Hair Removal through IPL, doesn’t the latter look like a good investment?
No matter which method of hair removal you choose, you need to remember you gotta be the winner – ‘cause you gotta flaunt that smooth sheeny skin. Pick wisely and look like a boss lady at all times!